To gain more insight into the deposition of a material by a 3D printer, a 3D Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) model has to be built. The goal of the assignment is to improve the controlled deposition of material during starts/stops. More specifically:
- Understanding of dynamics flow behavior inside and outside the nozzle
- What is the transfer function from feeder motion to material flow out of the nozzle?
- With which accuracy can the flow be predicted and thus controlled?
- Understanding of extrudate temperature in dynamic situations
- What is the influence of feed rate changes on the temperature of the material that flows out of the nozzle?
- If significant, how can we reduce variations in extrudate temperature?
The internship is a combination of fluid–, thermal– & control dynamics.